Best Places to Retire eNews

Name
Email

Is Asheville as great as everyone says

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> NORTH CAROLINA -> Asheville
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Is Asheville as great as everyone says Reply with quote

So many of my friends are talking about retiring to Asheville. I know its beautiful and the climate is good in the summer. But does it still offer good value. i would love to get the perspective of someone who has lived here.
bogeyman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't lived there (yet) but it sure is an appealing place. So appealing that developers will say almost any project is in Asheville, when they might be far out of town. Part of the attraction to Asheville is the town, which offers a center for a lot of people. On the other hand there are many other nice and charming towns in these mountains - including nearby Georgia and Tennessee - that are worth exploring too.
topretirementseditor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Cbsnews article about Asheville Reply with quote

Here is a short article about a couple's experience who retired to Asheville - they like it! http://www.cbsnews.com//stories/2009/05/17/sunday/main5021054.shtml
70cuda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Asheville, NC Reply with quote

I live in Hendersonville, NC about 24 miles south of Asheville, for over 6 years. We live on the side of a mountain in Laurel Park which was designated as the 2nd best place to retire by Neighborhoodscout.com. We have new schools, historic business center, symphony orchestra and city band, the NC State professional theater, a college, festivals, grow apples, city parks and golf courses, active adult classes and senior center. 2 hospitals, varied home developments with LARGE lots, low taxes, good water and quality of life. We call the relocators from Florida, half-backs,because they are now half way back from where they originally lived
Jasminenirvana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Asheville Reply with quote

Asheville is an expensive place to buy a house and is full of artsy new age hippie types who are liberal. It also got 9 inches of snow in February in one day. It does get quite cold in the winter and dioes snow there just to let you know.
LanSluder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say I am always glad to privately answer questions about Asheville and North Carolina if you email me at lansluder[at]gmail.com (replace [at] with @).

I'm an Asheville native, though I've in many other areas from New Orleans to Tampa to Kansas to Belize and Vietnam, and I'm back in Asheville. I think it is a great place to live but like all places it isn't perfect and certainly isn't for everyone. There are also many really attractive smaller towns around Asheville like Hendersonville, Black Mountain, Brevard, Waynesville, Highlands and others.

I've written five books about Asheville and the NC mountains, including the 500-page, Asheville Relocation, Reitrement and Visitor Guide that was published last year, Fodor's InFocus Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Amazing Asheville, Moving to the Mountains, and Fodor's The Carolinas & George (co-author). These books are available on the usual places like Amazon, Barnes & Noble and many independent bookstores, most in both paperback and ebook editions.

I've also written a bunch of other books for Fodor's, Frommer's, Moon, Equator and other publishers on other subjects including Belize, Rolls-Royce & Bentley, the game of bridge, the beaches of the Carolinas and George and other subjects, as well as contributing to magazines and newspapers around the world.

I also have a comprehensive, free and ad-free website on Asheville and the NC mountains, http://www.amazingasheville.net. It has hundreds of pages of information, and I try to update it every two or three days.

Again, I'm glad to try to answer any question you have about Western North Carolina privately by email. If I can't answer your question, I'll refer you to someone who probably can.

I have nothing to sell you. I'm not in real estate or anything. I try to give candid answers. As a retirement and travel writer, I've visited or stayed at many of the hotels, inns & B&Bs here, eaten at virtually all the best restaurants in the region and have visited many of the developments and retirement communities around here.

TopRetirements.com and these forums are terrific sources of good information, and I'll also try to jump in here more to offer my opinion, but as in all things, your mileage may vary.
RoJo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Asheville as great as they say depends on who you are and what you want in retirement.
I have lived in Asheville for four years and offer the following comments. It is liberal, if want more conservative close to Asheville try the smaller but very nice towns of Waynesville, Hendersonville, Black Mt. or Brevard (great classical music). It is a foodie town with great resturants, coffee houses, wine bars, farm markets, and of course 40 breweries. It is an art and crafts town with fine crafts and art galleries. The John Campbell folk school an hour or so away has a large campus/farm and offers hundreds of craft courses usually for a week at a time with room and meals provided. People come from all over the country to take workshops. It is a music town with its own symphony, nationaly acclaimed chamber music series, and visiting artists program. It is rock and roll, folk, and bluegrass with a little bit of jazz and the blues. National acts appear on a regular basis; but not super groups. It is environmentally focus with eat/buy local, recycle, and other sustainability activities. It has an outdoor vibe being in the mountains with hiking, kayaking, biking, boating, camping, and running. It has it hippie side with street corner musicians, converted school buses, and funky stores. It has good medical facilities including a large regional hospital complex. It has a small airport with United, Delta, American, and Alligent all offering connecting flights which results in convenience at a slightly higher price. Some people travel to Greenville or Charlotte about 1 3/4 hrs away. It is a tourist town due to lots of festivals, shows, interesting shops, great dining, beautiful scenery, outdoor activities and the Biltmore estate. Lots of things going on coupled with lots of hotels and BnB's result in lots of people on weekends. It is a mix town of 86,000 with young folks due to colleges in the area, people who see it as a career or lifestyle choice, lots of retirees from all over the east coast and an active minority and LGBT community. The weather is nice from April to November. Winter has some snow which does not last and the temps are bearable (50 day 30 night). If you like Austin, Boulder, Marin County CA, Portsmouth NH, Prescott AZ, Bozeman MT, you may like Asheville as the vibe is similar; but cost of living is less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> NORTH CAROLINA -> Asheville All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: