Best Places to Retire eNews

Name
Email

Forward to a Friend | print
Bookmark and Share
California or Florida

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> Real Estate Trends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3beckner3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: California or Florida Reply with quote

We live in Maryland and have come down two different states (CA or FL) to retire to. We know FL very well since parents live in FL however we like CA which offers many things to do. But we are having a hard time figuring out CA housing market (houses are marked down a lot but will they go up that high again). We are trying to determine the cost of living in CA vs FL. Can anyone give us any guidance on this issue?
CMeRetire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Florida! Reply with quote

Hi! Just my opinion...retire to Florida. Have lived in both Florida and California, and the retirees are much happier in Florida. Much less stress, easier to travel, more cost effective. There is a difference between the "East" and "West" Coast mindset. Most people prefer the "East". It is much friendlier. Believe me, this is from personal experience and research. Currently, the family lives on the West Coast, and we will all be retiring to Florida, so we are "walking the walk" back to Florida...never should have left! Hope this helps..just investigate carefully before deciding upon California.
Regards,
CMeRetire
3beckner3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: CA or FL Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Can I ask were in CA you live. We didn't know this was going to be such a hard decision for us. One of the reasons we like CA was that there are many things to see and do.
marty50

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Differences between FL and CA Reply with quote

Both states are so big there will always be exceptions even within these states (some places will be more expensive or colder/wetter weather). But if cost of living is your criteria, Florida is the winner. Even though real estate is very depressed in many (but not all) areas of both states, Florida is much cheaper. Zillow pegs the median CA home at $314,000, whereas in FL it is $121,400. CA has significant income and sales taxes, FL only has a sales tax. Both states have some areas/towns that are very beautiful - but CA has much more variation. Good luck.
gingermc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: California dreamin' Reply with quote

Well, I have to disagree with what has been said. I'm not sure I would agree that 'most' people prefer Florida. Maybe people who are unfamiliar with California.

California does not have the high humidity of florida. Important to me.

California is not as conservative as Florida. There are conservative areas, but on the whole California is very progressive, open and laid-back.

California is one of the most beautiful states in the nation, with every type of geography: mountains, deserts, seashore, plains, and special places like redwood forests, yosemite.

Although california is more expensive there are areas where you can still get better deals. In southern california, east of san diego and east of LA there are a number of beautiful, lower cost places. Check out Lake Elsinore. In Northern California go east of SF towards Roseville or the Delta or Sacramento.

California is culturally sophisticated, with a wide variety of ethnic groups represented, and 1st rate universities, art galleries, museums.

Medical care is superb in California; some of the best hospitals in the world like Stanford, UCLA.

So many good things to say about California. Almost the only downside is financial: taxes not favorable and cost of living higher. But there are cheaper areas and, as everyone knows, you get what you pay for.

I, for one, dream constantly about how to get back to CA.
tomcat3333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Fl or CA Reply with quote

Of course there will be people with favorites. I've travelled a lot in both states and have considered both for retirement. I would prefer California's cultural advantages and progressive atmosphere, but Florida is not exactly a typical southern state, either, with so many people moving there from other places. Still, California definitely scores higher with me in terms of politics and culture.

The Florida climate is more humid, and that's a negative, too. But if you choose California for the ocean, you will face several months of chilly weather. It is also hard to get into the 65-degree waters of the Pacific in all but the two months when ocean temperatures are higher. They say San Diego has "perfect weather." Really? Visit in March, as we did, and you may be greeted with ocean fog, drizzle and temperatures in the low 60s.

Florida has more cloudy days, and yes, hurricanes are a threat, But the overall temperatures are warmer. A humid 95 degrees in August is easier to take if you know it will be 70 in January. And in Florida, an ocean temperature of 65 only means it's the dead of winter. That same water will be 75 by March or April.

Despite these factors, my choice of retirement locale, unfortunately, probably will have to be governed by finances. For this reason, I probably will choose Florida, for a couple of reasons.

First, real estate is just a whole lot more expensive in California. We actually did the following experiment: Find a manufactured home in an active retirement park. Compare the costs of similar homes in similar towns. We found California was twice as expensive. Further, the land rent for a California park was 50-80 percent higher than for an equivalent park in Florida. This also was true of built housing, expect that a regular house in California was even pricier, reflecting the higher cost of land.

Second, I don't plan on worrying about what either state will be like in 30-50 years, because I won't be around to see it. But I do worry about what they will be like in 10 years. Here's my take on it: Florida will continue to have its crazies, some of whom will have guns. Crime and violence will be a problem, particularly in the cities. And given the rising sea levels, I would not live within five miles of the ocean.

But California is contemplating a whole other issue, and that is the economy. The state seems unable to balance its budget, and if it does, the tax burden will go from high to impossible. And in the meantime, the state seems unable to repair its infrastructure. Have you driven on California highways lately? Underrepaired, undermaintained and litter-strewn. Even nice parts like San Diego -- one of my favorite places in the world -- are looking a bit run-down. Even if it were affordable, which for me it is not, there are just too many economic uncertainties in California.
Brigham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 3beckner3,
Both states are big and as you are having a hard time figuring out CA housing market so I will advice you to wait till the market get stable and CA housing market will be clear to you. Your property is your asset, don't rush.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> Real Estate Trends All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: