Best Places to Retire eNews

Name
Email

Forward to a Friend | print
Bookmark and Share
NOT looking for the Gated Lifestyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> Where I've Been, Where I'm Looking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topretirementseditor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: NOT looking for the Gated Lifestyle Reply with quote

We are posting this question on behalf of a member who contacted us: Can anybody offer any suggestions:

In vain I search for the uniqueness I'm seeking in finding that place that will be my retirement nest.

I'm NOT into gardeners and condos, golf carts and patio homes.
Suggestion: Could you open a forum for the likes of me? I don't even know what you'd call it, except perhaps "Out of the Mainstream: Ideas for People looking for Something OTHER than the gated community lifestyle" (way too long...)

I wish I had the werewithall to start a community of two acre sites with modular homes for people who wanted to have their gardens, chickens, views, rainfall and small livestock in a climate that was conducive to it, without running into issues of politics, religion and bigotry. Think there's such a place?
LS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Back to the Future Reply with quote

Sounds like you want to live in a commune with other free spirits.
horseartist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the Future Reply with quote

LS wrote:
Sounds like you want to live in a commune with other free spirits.

No, I don't want a commune. That's not my idea of the ideal lifestyle, just as manicured lawns and golf cart neighbors don't suit me either.

I'm looking to buy into an area that honors the skills I have--gardening, preserving my produce; that encourages livestock ownership as a food source (not just pretty lawn ornaments) and are like-minded in being as self sufficient and organic as possible.

In the "old days", farmers (not the type we have now) who retired to a sun state did so with no regrets for leaving the hard work involved in raising their own products for market. They were content to buy the cellophane-wrapped meats and produce from who-knows-where. That was then.

Today's agribusiness doesn't give us the quality we can get from our own endeavors, so I'm looking for a place where I can find like-minded folks who are more closely attached to the land and the food it provides.

Sure, I can do this just about anywhere, but it would be nice to find someone on this forum with experiences in areas of the country where this may be going on.

I do resent your implication that I am some hippie type looking for a free handout in a commune. That judgement is uncalled for.

P.S. I'm 63, so yes, I did survive the hippie era. As did my brother, who is a retired corporate lawyer, and who does enjoy that golf cart lifestyle.

In that posting about Myrtle Beach, FL, I see what happens to people who don't have enough to do--they become busybodies. That would never happen where I want to live, because folks would be too busy with their gardens.
jancullinane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Farming Community Reply with quote

Here are three possibilities for Horseartist (who wrote about a farming community):

Check into Prairie Crossing (he’ll also see a free downloadable book about “Building a Community with Farms”), Serenbe Farms, and Bundoran Farm. Three possibilities.
Here are the links:
http://www.topretirements.com/reviews/Georgia/Chattahoochee_Hills/Serenbe.html
http://www.topretirements.com/reviews/Illinois/Grayslake/Prairie_Crossing.html
http://www.topretirements.com/reviews/Virginia/Charlottesville/Bundoran_Farm.html

Jan is the author of The New Retirement: The Ultimate Guide to the Rest of Your Life (Rodale).
hoofprints

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought horseartist's request perfectly reasonable but don't think such a place exists. Currently live on 8 acres - used to raise horses. Can no longer keep up w/the work & have been looking also for a 2-3 acre site w/small home where I could putter in a veggie garden, have a few chickens etc. Gated lifestyle not for me either - much to the chagrin of my grown children who think I should be in a safe townhouse (where neighbors have nothing to do except look out their windows to see who they can gossip about). Have been researching SC, NC & western VA. VA my preference - just need to find something affordable. Hope horseartist posts if he finds an area that meets most of his list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> Where I've Been, Where I'm Looking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: