Best Places to Retire eNews

Name
Email

Forward to a Friend | print
Bookmark and Share
Retirement Location: Full time vs Part Time-and Why

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> Finding the Best Places to Retire
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When you retire will you live in the same place all year?
Will live in same place all year
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Will live in 2 or more places
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Haven't decided yet
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

topretirementseditor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Retirement Location: Full time vs Part Time-and Why Reply with quote

Please vote in the poll above! To vote, login with your user name, then you will see option to vote.
When you retire, or if you are already retired, will you be live full time in one place, or will you split your time between 2 or more locations? Please answer the poll below, and then Reply to this topic with more details. For example, do you like living in a seasonal community in the "wrong" season, or is living in multiple places important to you. What do you like best about where you live in the various seasons? For example if you live in Arizona in the summer: what to do when it's 100+ outside?

To vote, login as a Member: Can't wait to see what people say.
mebohio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: full time vs part time Reply with quote

We plan to live 9 months of the year in FL. Can't wait to get out of OH winters. However I know I will hate FL summers, we lived in Tucson AZ for five years so I know I hate that brutal heat. My husband and I both love the outdoors, he is an avid birdwatcher and I love walking (but not hardcore hiking) in the woods. So, our plan in retirement is to get a small class B or C RV and spend our summers seeing as many of the National parks as we can before we die. We will work in visits to our daughters and friends who are around the country. We're lucky, I'll be 59 and my husband 66 when we semi-retire so we hope we have many years ahead. Husband is a univ. professor and will work part time in FL but will have summers off. Looking forward to it in 2013.
Robust54

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are planning to retire in 2014. We're NY State natives and already have our summer cottage in Sylvan Beach, NY, where we will spend the late-spring to early-fall. The rest of the year, we plan on spending someplace warm, at this point we're thinking FL, but that could change. We currently reside in PA but have no desire to stay here despite it being senior-friendly.

Any advice on how snowbirds handle two homes that are vacant for a few months out of the year? We already know about winterizing our cottage, but how do you "summerize" your FL home? (Might be a good subject for an article, John!)
goldstein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: FL Summer Home Reply with quote

As a former Florida resident, I can tell you that the snowbirds that leave during the summer months will have someone in place to do all the lawn maintainance during those months. They also make sure that all the windows are covered with a hurricane protection while they are gone. Very Happy
62andout

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Live in 2 places Reply with quote

One of the things that i like the most about living our retirement in 2 places is that it adds such a richness to our lives. Double the pleasure, with apologies to Doublemint gum. Retiring to a nice town in FL for the winter means we have 2 sets of friends, different activities, new restaurants, a new church, and a new way of looking at life. And not that we have abandoned the situation where we lived before we retired - we still get to enjoy that 9 months of the year. Since we are both involved heavily in volunteer work in our main town, taking it easy on that score for a few months give us a chance to recharge.
Robust54

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Live in 2 places Reply with quote

Sounds great, 62andout! Can't wait! I agree with you that living in 2 places adds a richness to life. We have lived in several different areas in the NE and mid-Atlantic and have been enriched, to various degrees, by each place.

May I ask where in Florida you live? We're looking for a moderately populated area. Sylvan Beach, NY is a wonderful little town, but there's not a whole lot going on there, so we want to be in an area in FL that has a lot to do, just for some variety.
mebohio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Great city in FL Reply with quote

Robust54 you should take a look at Winter Park in Central FL. My husband and I plan to retire there in 2 years We looked at many different places in Fl over the last few years and found that many were either too small, too large, too congested, too far from an airport, not a nice downtown etc. Winter Park is wonderful! Great downtown area with lots of independently owned interesting shops plus a few chains such as Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma. Many restaurants (no chains, all independents)with lots of street cafes and variety. There is a small very good college there with cultural events, the city itself puts on many events such as music in the park and art shows, the largest collection of Tiffany glass is at a museum there. The town is on a series of lakes so there is boating. It is close (20 min) to Orlando so you can also avail yourself of events going on there while still living in a community without the daily hassle of a city Orlando's size, and of course the theme parks are also within a half hour drive. It is on the Amtrak line that goes from Miami to NY and also Orlando airport is an easy drive. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive to either the Gulf or the Atlantic so easy to go to the beach for a day or two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> Finding the Best Places to Retire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: