Best Places to Retire eNews

Name
Email

Discuss what its like to live in The Villages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> FLORIDA -> The Villages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: The Villages Reply with quote

I have lived here over 1 1/2 years and for the most part it has been a rewarding experience. However it does have its downfalls, too. You have to get use to the form of government that is unlike anywhere else. Part of the villages (north of CR 466; east of US 441/27) are governed by Development Districts and generally the bonds (infrastructure) have been paid, whereas (south of CR 466) they have not been paid and can add additional costs to your home price. FREE golf on the 9 hole courses (22) and reduced fees on the Championship courses is the major attraction. There are hundreds of clubs to belong too, everything from Bocce to the Zaniacs. Recreation centers are numerous throughout the community. Your 2nd car is a golf cart (I use mine every chance I get) as nearly everything is accessible by golf cart. As I said there are negatives including but not limited to crowded roads, restaurants, executive golf courses especially from January through March/April and as more and more people find this retirement community they will become more so, which in-turn affects how friendly people are or aren't. The weather is unpredictable at best and you are about 1 1/2 hours from either the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean.
Before you decide to move here get as much information as possible and compare with other retirement communities both within Florida and other states.
Go to www.thevillages.com for news, recreation, home styles and prices.
fiddlehead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Villages ... Decent Health Club!! Reply with quote

The Villages is great and at the top of my short list for the near future … however after talking with some new residents, I find that the health club options are not great … by this I mean that the present facilities are over crowded, No indoor pools, no decent locker rooms, no wet areas(to include hot tub, sauna, steam) …. any talk of a modern health club … as good as a YMCA or LA Fitness, LifeTime Fitness …. ???? I would hate to retire at the largest, healthiest, retirement community in the country without a decent health club??
celia

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in The Villages for over 10 years and it far exceeds my expectations, particularly for things to do. There are some great books for research on living in the Villages including one showing all the local state parks, botanical gardens, boardwalks etc in the area: Days Out in Central Florida from the Villages. Definitely do your homework, it's not for everyone, but if you want an active lifestyle it is pretty unbeatable.
digital1234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the village from last 13 years and it it is my experience of my living in the village for the research on the village life , this is very happy for us to the , green planting and valley and pools i have great books you can visit in this.
restets

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Apartments do exist! Reply with quote

I don\'t know why this article states there\'s no apartments or condos here. There is a Brookdale CCRC (continuing care retirement community) in The Villages called Freedom Pointe.
TomC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Villages Reply with quote

When recently visiting to check it ut for a retirement home all that I heard was when going to one of the town squares for either to check out the shops or to eat was: \"I hope that I can find somewhere to park\".

Very big and very busy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> FLORIDA -> The Villages All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: