Best Places to Retire eNews

Name
Email

WHAT TO DO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> Baby Boomer Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phammy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: WHAT TO DO Reply with quote

I am a baby-boomer who retired last May after working full-time for 38 years. I have never once regretted leaving behind the high-stress, demanding job that I held. However, at 58 I am having trouble adjusting to so many hours with nothing to do. I'm not the volunteering type person, as I suspect not many baby-boomers are. Tell us how you spend your time.
Jamie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retirement was a difficult adjustment for me initially. I had to learn to find new hobbies and interests that I could occupy myself with and keep my mind active. I also made some new friends by joining a few clubs and hobbies.
junebug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: thank goodness for my part time job Reply with quote

i retired unexpectedly at 58. Tried getting freelance work and stumbled into 1 job where i can work as much as i want. If it wasnt for that i honestly dont know what i would do with myself. I mean i love reading the paper and reading books, playing tennis etc., but you cant do that all day, every day. So thank goodness i have a job to keep me busy. If i didnt have it i would probably do meals on wheels or somesuch several days a week.
Sanky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: what to do Reply with quote

I've retired in 2007 and start interesting myself in the internet ... Have you ever thought of this avenue for extra revenue and occupation
geaudy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: What to Do Reply with quote

I am 63 and thinking of retirement but I would have the same problem of boredom if I didn't have lots of interest to keep me busy. I started working as a Tax Professional for H&R Block so I could count on that when I retire. Between working during tax season, teaching for them Sept-Dec and taking the required courses to keep my Tax Certification it will be enough to keep me busy when I retire.

You need to find something to keep your mind sharp and to have something to look forward to. Good Luck!
Flatearth6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: RE: What to do Reply with quote

When my parents retired they did a little volunteer work then got involved with something called "Senior University" and "Life Long Learning." They have taken dozens of classes on all kinds of subjects as well as traveling! They did courses and tours in California's Wine Country, Chaco Canyon and the Lewis & Clark Trail. They have had a ball and were hardly ever home! I can't wait to do the same!!

In the meantime, we have Continuing Education Classes at the local Community College as well as things going on at the Community Center. There is so much to do out there watch the papers or call for catalogues! There is alot of information on line about the above mentioned programs and I'm sure they will send you a catalogue too.

If you like crafts or arts at all - check out the John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC (near Murphy) Its about 2-1/2 hrs from the Atlanta airport and they run a shuttle. You will be AMAZED at what they have going on and you will meet THE most interesting people! Have fun!
yssim918

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: WHAT TO DO Reply with quote

I too was in a very stressful job. I was out on disability for a couple of years and when I returned back to work I instantly knew I did not want to be at work. I retired after two months on the job and have never ever regretted it. My husband and I do a lot of traveling having just returned from New Mexico. We hope to move there soon so this was an exploratory trip. I don't ever have enough hours in the day I am so busy. We are in an Antique Group Shop, we have yard sales, I belong to two exercise groups one of which has a once a month mystery lunch. I also volunteer at our local hospice house and have been there over 4 years. I also volunteer for our local ARC association. Plus my mother and mother-in-law live in facilities and we visit a couple times a week. I am also a computer geek and spend a lot of time emailing my friends and doing research for our booths. Believe there is plenty out there to do it is just a matter of doing some research and finding your niche..
vacollins

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: What to do? Reply with quote

I closed my business two years ago due to health issues. At first, my health dictated what I did, however, it has improved and now I'm working on doing all the things I wanted to do but couldn't when I was working. I exercise at least 5 days per week. I am cooking from scratch, healthy meals at dinner. I am doing small remodeling projects including some sewing and gardening. I am reading the classics. I am looking to move when my husband retires so I'm researching different areas and am planning the move with activity of life in mind. For example, I will only move to a community close to a church I enjoy as I want to be more active, spiritually.
It is difficult, sometimes, to stay busy....but sometimes it is very good to be able to rest and relax as needed as well.
Andrew_50

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love traveling, so as much as possible I travel to different places that I've never been.
dcrehlinger@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rule that no one should retire unless they have at least 3 hobbies! I have lots of interests but my soon to retire husband does not. He golfs and is an avid sports enthusiast which he tells me gives him 2 hobbies, but too many people "fail" at retirement because they don't think about filling the hours of their day. It's never too late to get a hobbie!
Nesak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've retired in 2006 and start interesting myself in the internet ... Have you ever thought of this avenue for extra revenue and occupation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> Baby Boomer Stuff All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Custom Search