Best Places to Retire eNews

Name
Email

Discuss what its like to live in The Villages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> FLORIDA -> The Villages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Discuss what its like to live in The Villages Reply with quote

Discuss what its like to live in The Villages
2putz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, i took the trolley tour of the Villages. I have never visited a place that has more to do. There are town centers with free entertainment daily. 30 golf courses, 10 or so country clubs, and every sport known to man. If you want to be active, this is the place. You can stay here for a few days at a discounted rate and see for yourself.
Boomer1

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News reports coming out of The Villages say that the book "Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias" by Andrew Blechman has just about everyone in a tizzy. The tone of the book is that people go to live in The Villages to drop out of society and live a segregated, empty life. A lot of residents couldn't disagree more - they love living there because there is so much to do and so many people to meet. The book is available for sale in bookstores in The Villages, and it's providing the fodder for many a cocktail hour conversation.
MzBecca

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I read the book Leisureville, I was truly interested in checking out the Villages. However, the first chapter put me off going there when in a discussion with the author, Mrs. Anderson stated that she didn't care about diversity - and Mr. Anderson stated that he had played golf with one black guy, and he seem okay, but he had not seen any orientals. In this day and age when race should not come into play, especially at this stage of our life, I can't believe people still think like this, and my husband and I being a black couple in our mid/late 50s with a average income of $120,000 were truly offended.

My husband and I had decided to check out a few communites and purchase our home before we retire and use it as a vacation/holiday until we retire. In fact, we are leaving tomorrow morning for a Del Webb community near Hilton Head - now I'm having second thoughts, will all Active Communites be so narrow minded when it comes to diversity and race and are they truly so disinterested with the going ons of the outside world? It is good we are trying these places on for size before we buy.

I want to retire actively, not bury my head in the sand until I die.

becca
Boomer1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leisureville controversy continues, including a review in the NY Times Book Review, a great way to get a lot of books sold. I have seen lots of comments, mostly negative, about The Villages and other active adult communities. My personal opinion is that the generalizing that is going on some of the discussion boards doesn't give a very fair picture. Many people don't belong in an active adult community - there are a lot of rules and require a base level of getting along with others. Others don't like these communities on principle. And still others, like me, find active adult communities attractive in many ways and disturbing in others. (i like all the activities, but something disturbs me about being part of the hive)

in the end it's everyone's individual preference - there is no right or wrong. But i also believe this - in almost every active adult community there are probably hundreds of people that most of us would like being around. Unfortunately there are also people who are insensitive about race and every other issue (and they probably don't know it). Unfortunately again, these folks also exist just about everywhere.
Justin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: The Villages Reply with quote

I use to like it but not anymore. Too crowded,don't trust the people running it now. It will be interesting to see how this IRS mess works out.
GaryS

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Test Drive The Villages By Renting Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> FLORIDA -> The Villages All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: