Best Places to Retire eNews

Name
Email

The Villages is not for everyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> FLORIDA -> The Villages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curiouseyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: The Villages is not for everyone Reply with quote

The Villages is truly beautiful in that it is beautifully landscaped, and that is where the beauty ends. Its soul is not beautiful.

The first time we entered it to look at real estate, the first impression we got was that it was a gigantic and heavily manicured fortress. We also noticed there were no children and no other races.

Also it is primarily a manufactured housing community.

Diversity is important to us. I have several friends there, and they admitted moving there because they wanted to drop out of society and be with their own kind only.

Their hospital may be beautiful, but since children are not allowed to live there, their doctor parents have to live elsewhere and consequently you will find very few who actually live there. So where do the patients go? To Leesburg or Ocala.

We have no desire to have neighbors who hate children and other races.

Who wants to sit in restaurants where most of the other customers are old? It is nice to see young families; they are pictures of happiness, youth, and health.

Last but not least, our children were educated in public schools paid for by taxpayers, and we are grateful for this. So how can we the senior citizens dare to refuse to pay school taxes? This is mean and selfish, and we have no desire to live with such neighbors.

To sum it up, The Villages is a place for those who want to have fun, fun, fun and not be bothered with anyone else not like them.It is a place for aging adolescents.
Drumlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! Yours is an eye opening post, curious! I never really even thought about it before, but I have sat in restaurants in the middle of the day, say, and only older people who don't talk much are around. There IS something charming about a three year old looking at you over the back of the restaurant seat! I still don't want inconsiderate noisey hillbilly twenty-somethings working on their cars and dealing drugs next door, but you do bring up an interesting point about the value of diverse people in one's life. I'm guessing that I can't really fathom the sheer size of the communities, but I can see how all the "sameness" could be soul sucking. Very interesting perception.
hudde240

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: The Villages Reply with quote

Wow. These comments are eye openers and add to my confusion. As a single person, I am at the stage of my life where I just want to have fun but I do want meaningful conversation and diversity in an economically affordable environment. Where do I go? My head is spinning. I live on the west coast and the reality is that I can't stand heat and Florida has plenty of it. If real estate, like CA, where I live, has tanked, am I trading one disaster over another. I would love to dialogue with others caught in this dilemna because I am the only one in my cirle struggling with the confusion.
Kim63

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Florida (westcoast) Help... Reply with quote

Hi, All,
Maybe I can help...have you thought about the Sarasota, FL area?
SARASOTA NAMED NO. 1 CITY IN THE COUNTRY TO BUY A HOME, according to an NBC Today Show segment on Monday 10/5. Real estate expert Barbara Corcoran on the Today Show evaluated rebounding home prices across the country and said Sarasota, “a symbol of the worst real estate market in the country,” where prices had dropped 34 percent, saw a 13 percent uptick in prices in the last quarter to a median of $175,800. Corcoran mentioned the beautiful beaches but also called Sarasota, “a sophisticated city, an urban city.” See link for remaining top 10. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/33191501#33191501.South of Sarasota we have a community calls Islandwalk at West Villages, which is a gated planned community, with a mixture of people and a few young families. It has lovely Venetian bridge walkovers, a preserve, pool, tennis with future plans for basketball court, bocce ball courts Tennis pavilion, Main Hall, Lakeside gazebo, Tot lot, Card room, library, Post Office, Beauty Salon, Gift shop, multi-purpose rooms (next to be built), convenience store, bank, deli, gas pumps and car wash. Happy to provide more info to you.
jacobsgrampy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: The Villages Reply with quote

In reply to "Curious Eyes". What part of the Villages were you in?
1. We don't hate children or other people of other races. Grandchildren come, visit and can stay 30 days. We offer a summer camp program that some cities would envy over its diversity. We have lot's of people who are Black, Brown, etc. as well as people form the Philipines, South America, Africa, etc.
2. The "Village Regional Hospital" serves all people who live in a 10 mile area and yes that includes families with children, babies, teens, pre-teens, etc.
3. Restaurants on the periphery serve everyone, but if you are speaking of within the Villages itself, you more than likely will encounter more 55+ patrons, than those with children.
4. It is a 55+ community, you know those folks who are empty nesters, retired, etc. and really don't want to have little kids running around. Activities are geared toward adults. Since 3 counties are involved a good portion of our property taxes go to supporting schools, just like we did when we lived elsewhere; I also guess that you didn't see our Charter Elementay, MIddle and High School that is provided for families that work in the villages; there is also 2 villages that have been specifically built for people with children or for grandparents who want to be near their children living next door.
Come back for another look and you can contact me direct at jacobsgrampy@msn.com and I;ll take you around the villages.

One last thing - the original side east of 441 is primarily mobile or modular homes; west is all stick or concrete block homes.

Enjoy life!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Retirement Community Forum Home -> FLORIDA -> The Villages All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: