Avon Lake is located in Northern Ohio on the shores of Lake Erie, approximately 20 miles west of Cleveland, with a population of 22,581 (2010 census). The town’s history has it belonging to three different nations and dates back to the 1600’s when it was inhabited by Wyandots, Eries and Ottowas. The area belonged to France prior to 1765, at which time it became the property of the British. During the Revolutionary War, a direct trail crossed the lake shore through what is now Avon Lake. Today, residents enjoy the many recreational activities that both the the town and Lake Erie have to offer. The community is comprised of public beaches, 20 miles of bike trails, a boat launch, fishing pier, an aquatic center, three public golf courses, an outdoor ice skating rink, and over 200 acres of parks.