Milledgeville,Georgia, the county seat ofBaldwinCounty, was named for John Milledge who was governor from 1802 to 1806. The town served as the state capitol from 1804 to 1868, and became a very prosperous town as the surrounding countryside was caught up in the cotton boom. Famous architects designed beautiful homes, churches and the Governor’s Mansion. Milledgeville is a historical town and the downtown and historical district have been revitalized. It is also home to Georgia College and State University and Georgia Military College. Picture of the Second Capitol Building courtesy of Wikipedia and Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division,HABSGA, 5-Milg 6-2. Picture of the Governor’s Mansion courtesy of Wikipedia and L.D. Andrew.