DuBois, located in northwestern Pennsylvania, was settled in 1812, and incorporated as a city in 1914. The city is named for John DuBois, who settled here in 1871, built a lumber mill, invented equipment, and improved worker safety. In 1938, his nephew, John E. DuBois, donated the family mansion and estate as a permanent home for the DuBois Campus of Penn State University. Although DuBois was founded as a lumber town, the coal mining business eventually became the chief industry in DuBois in the early 1900's. Today, manufacturing and retail are the main industries in this town of 7,708 (2012 census), and it's still home to the DuBois campus of Penn State, with a full time enrollment of approximately 800 students.