December 24, 2013 — It’s always fun to see which of our Blog articles find the most resonance with our dear Members and Visitors. Sometimes it is the unexpected ones that generate the most comments and/or readership, while usually any article that includes “Best Place to Retire” in the title usually does pretty well. Here is our annual review of the best of what we’ve come up with for 2013.
Most Commented Upon
We like to think we’ve done our job when an article sparks a lot of comments. Your comments are so valuable because they are so real, so different, each with their own kind of truth.
1. 100 Best Places to Retire for 2013. This annual feature generated 436 comments, and just about every one is worth reading.
2.Time to Share: What Do You Think Are the Best Places to Retire. This article was a request for members to share their ideas about the best places to retirement. That produced a whopping 153 suggestions, which was followed up with 53 more when we published the results! Teaser to the results: The #1 town is in Colorado, and the #1 state is Florida.
3. Low Income Retirement & Renting: A Discussion. How about that, this member-suggested topic produced 109 comments in just 2 months! Anyone who says retirement is all about the wealthy hasn’t been visiting this website.
4. 10 Best International Places to Retire. Apparently there are quite of few of you who are interested in retiring outside your own national borders. There were 104 comments and suggestions for this 2 Part Blog post (Part 2 produced 7 more comments).
5. 10 Retirement Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make. Nobody wants to make a mistake with their retirement, it’s way too important. In the 100 reader comments your fellow members shared their successes and not so great experiences – a great learning experience for all.
6. Which Carolina is More Tax Friendly? The Carolinas might not be as warm as Florida on the thermometer, but they are definitely a hot place for retirement. This article generated 69 member comments.
7. Wanted: Member Input on Selling Your Home & Downsizing. We just loved the tips, suggestions, experiences, and plain old-fashioned wisdom on display in the 69 comments to this article, which also included a member survey that had 1300 participants. The fascinating results of this survey and comments were summarized in “Adventurous Topretirements Members Ready for Big Retirement Moves“, which produced 34 more comments. One big thing we learned from this experience: 48% of Topretirements members definitely plan on moving in retirement – far higher than is reported among the general population.
7 Social Security Myths That Could Cost You Serious Money. When and how you take your benefits is important, we think this should be required reading.
Which Florida is Better for Retirement: Coastal or the Interior. Yes, there are only 40 comments, but the article is only 3 weeks old!
10 Ideas to Help You Figure out What to Do with the Rest of Your Life. There are some great suggestions that might just change your perspective at least a little.
Comments. Do you a personal favorite article that you liked the best? If so, please let us all know in the Comments section below. And of course, if you have an idea for an topic we should cover in 2014 – please let use this section to share the word.