July 20, 2010 — There was one very big surprise on the annual list of the best active adult and 55+ communities which was just published by Topretirements.com. It wasn’t that Arizona, Florida, Texas, North Carolina, California, or South Carolina had plenty of representation on the list. The big surprise was that tiny Delaware, the nation’s second smallest state in terms of geographical area, had 5 winners on the list (10% of the total)!
We speculate there are a couple of different reasons why Delaware was able to match its Sunbelt rivals with its active adult community popularity:
– Delaware has a reputation for being tax friendly with no state sales tax and lower than average property taxes
– According to the Tax Foundation, Delaware’s total tax burden is the 24th highest of all the states
– $12,500 of pension income is exempt from state income tax
– Close to big population centers, yet a much less crowded environment
– Access to the ocean. Towns in the Rehoboth Beach area are magnets for retirees who want to have a relaxing lifestyle