Note: Our 2014 list was published in September of 2014. See “Florida Dominates 2014 List of Most Popular Communities“
September 2, 2013 — There are some very big surprises in this year’s results for the 100 most popular active adult communities. First off, 4 states completely dominated our visitors’ favorite active adult communities: Florida (25), Tennessee (16), Delaware (16), and North Carolina (12) amassed 69 of the 100 most popular communities. Within that result, Tennessee’s 16 communities in the top 100 demonstrates that it is a state to be taken very seriously when it comes to baby boomer retirement. Of the remaining 46 states, only Pennsylvania (6), Texas (4) and South Carolina (4) put more than a few communities into the top 100.
Florida topped the 2013 list with 25 communities (it had 35 in 2012). Delaware’s 16 communities on the list is by far the best representation of any non-Sun Belt state (we are counting Tennessee as a Sunbelt state, although that could be argued).
We take several conclusions away from these results:
– Most people tend to think that traditional retirement communities are centered in Florida, Arizona, and the Carolinas. This year’s results break that mold, showing that states like Tennessee and Delaware need to be taken seriously as top retirement destinations.
– One great thing about this list is is that it changed significantly from previous years. There are 41 new communities on the 2013 list (there were 31 new ones last year), which we regard as a great thing – the more communities for our members to consider for their retirements, the better!
– Tennessee enjoys a reputation as a tax friendly state with a lower cost of living than states on either coasts. It could be that as baby boomers face reality about their retirement portfolios they are being more financially realistic about where to retire.
– Delaware is very popular for retirement, even though it is not in the Sunbelt. Its reputation as a low tax state, plus its great beaches and the lovely Delmarva Peninsulam make it very attractive. As with Tennessee, many folks from the northeast will find it familiar, and not too from their families.
– The Villages, the giant community in Central Florida, once again has the honor of being our #1 most popular active community in the USA.
The top 100 communities were chosen on the basis of visitor popularity at Topretirements during the period January 1 to August 31, 2013. The communities whose listings were viewed by our visitors the most (as reported by Google Analytics) were the winners. Please see the end of article for important details on the selection criteria.
And the 2013 winners are:
1. The Villages (The Villages, FL). The Villages sprawls over several counties and has 75,000 residents and 33 golf courses. The Villages page at Topretirements was viewed over 8,000 times by our members and visitors in the 7 month reporting period (note that the communities ranked 90 through 100 had between 500-600 visits).
2. Indian River Colony Club* (Melbourne, FL) Ranked #12 in 2012.
3. Moores Valley (Asheville, NC)
4. Lake Weir Living* (near The Villages, FL)
5. Fearrington Village* (Chapel Hill, NC)
6. The Moorings* (Vero Beach, FL)
7. Tellico Village* (TN). Situated on giant Tellico Lake, this community has 6,750 residents and is open to people of all ages.
8. Valencia Lakes* (Tampa, FL)
9.Fairways at Savannah Quarters* (Savannah, GA)
10. Valencia Reserve (Boynton Beach, FL)
11. Peninsula on the Indian River* (Millsboro, DE)
12. Talking Rock* (Prescott, AZ)
13.Millville by the Sea (Bethany Beach, DE)
14. Silver Sage Village (Boulder, CO)
15. The Fountains at Lake Pointe Woods (Sarasota, FL)
16. Solivita (Kissimmee, FL)
17. Hot Springs Village* (Hot Springs, AR)
18. Biltmore Lake (Asheville, NC)
19. Sun City (Sun City, AZ)
20. Holly Lake Ranch* (Tyler, TX)
21. Cascades of Sarasota (Sarasota, FL)
22. Fairfield Glade (TN)
23. Laguna Woods Village (Laguna Woods, CA)
24. Southern Palms* (Ladson, SC)
25. Harbour Crest on Lake Chickamauga (Chattanooga, TN) (was #70 in 2012)
26. Coquina Crossing (St. Augustine, FL) (was #87)
27. Penn National (Chambersburg, PA)*
28. Traditions of America at Bridle Path* (Bethlehem, PA, New)
29. The Coves* (Boone, NC)
30. Black Creek Mountain (New -Chattanooga, TN)
31. Avery Ranch (Austin, TX) (new)
32. Cottages at Feathers Chapel (Blountville, TN) (new)
33. Bay Aristocrat Village (Clearwater, FL, new)
34. Bay Forest (Bethany Beach, DE, new)
35. Central Park at Lakewood Ranch (Bradenton, FL)
36. The Landings* (Savannah, GA – new)
37. Bayfront at Rehoboth (Lewes, DE)
38. The Tides at Charleston (Staten Island, NY)
39. Willow Springs Reserve (Johnson City, TN)
40. Bayside* (Selbyville, DE)
41. Palmas del Mar (Humacao, Puerto Rico, new)
42. Hampton Lake (Bluffton, SC)
43. On Top of the World* (Ocala, FL)
44. Heritage Shores (Bridgeville, DE)
45. Steiner Ranch (Austin, TX)
46. Halfway Tree Mobile Home Park (Hendersonville, NC, new)
47. Lawton Station* (Bluffton, SC)
48. Village Walk (Bonita Springs, FL)
49. Riverbend (New Castle, DE)
50. Breakwater (Lewes, DE)
51. The Village at Providence (Mt. Juliet, TN, new)
52. The Orchard Villas (Apex, NC)
53. Snowden Overlook Villas (Columbia, MD, new)
54. Angola by the Bay (Lewes, DE, new)
55. The Settlement at Powhatan Creek (Williamsburg, VA)
56. The Village at Penn State (State College, PA)
57. The Villages at Crest Mountain (Asheville, NC)
58. Doral Village (Clearwater, FL)
59. Lofts at Mica Village (Asheville, NC)
60. Courtyards at Brandywine (Wilmington, DE, new)
61. Savannah Crossings (Clarksville, TN, new)
62. Lake Tansi Village (Crossville, TN, new)
63. Wildflowers at Wallkill (Middletown, NY, new)
64. Kinzel Springs (Maryville, TN, new)
65. Rockland Place (Wilmington, DE, new)
66. Tollgate Village (Franklin, TN, new)
67. Brunswick Forest* (Wilmington, NC, new).
68. Bay Crossing (Lewes, DE)
69. Four Seasons at Silver Maple (Middletown, DE, new)
70. Toscana (Reno, NV, new)
71. Bahia Vista Estates (Sarasota, FL)
72. Bridgemore (Knoxville, TN, new)
73. Gulf Coast Village (Cape Coral, FL)
74. Sweetbriar* (Lebanon, PA, new)
75. The Village at Schilling Farms (Collierville, TN, new)
76. Floral Lakes (Bartow, FL, new)
77. Longhorn Village (Austin, TX)
78. Lake Providence by Del Webb (Mt. Juliet, TN, new)
79. Heritage Strasburg* (Lancaster, PA, new)
80. Bonita Fairways (Bonita Springs, FL)
81. Sedona Shadows (Sedona, AZ)
82. Lakewood Ranch (Sarasota, FL)
83. Carmella* (Harrisburg, PA, new)
84. Plantation Lakes (Millsboro, DE, new)
85. Crowfields (Asheville, NC)
86. Port Charlotte Village (Port Charlotte, FL, new)
87. Biltmore Park Town Square (Asheville, NC, new)
88. Village Green (St. Petersburg, FL, new)
89. Rarity Bay (Vonore, TN)
90. Alameda Isles (Venice, FL)
91. Heritage Creek (Lewes, DE, new)
92. Crystal Lakes (Fort Myers, FL, new)
93. Carlsbad by the Sea (Sand Diego, CA, new). This is the only Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) on this list.
94. Longacre Village (Dover, DE, new)
95. The Farm at Tralee (Knoxville, TN,new)
96. PGA at Verano* (Port Saint Lucie, FL, new)
97. Del Webb Village at Deaton Creek* (Hoschton, GA, new)
98. 4 Seasons at St. Margarets (Annapolis, MD, new)
99. Sun City Anthem (Henderson, NV, new)
100. Sun City at Carolina Lakes. (Charlotte, NC, new)
* Topretirements Advertiser
Here is a link to more than 2300 more active adult communities at Topretirements, by state.
Observations about the results and how they were compiled:
– This list is essentially a popularity contest. The more times a community’s page was visited on our site, the higher it placed in the rankings. We believe this is an approximate indication of baby boomers’ interest in these respective communities, which they might or might not have heard of before.
– Many of the active adult communities making the list are in towns that are 100 best places to retire at Topretirements. Communities listed with those towns have a better chance of making the list.
– Many of our Topretirements advertisers, who were no doubt aided by their preferred positioning on our site, made the top 100 list. Advertiser communities are identified by an *
– Finally, some of the larger, incorporated communities have additional, higher profile pages on our site, which also helps them in the rankings. Those include The Villages, Tellico Village, Hot Springs Village, Laguna Woods, etc.
For Further Reference:
2014 List: 100 Most Popular Active and 55+ Communities
Our 2012 List of the 100 Most Popular Active Adult Communities
See all the articles we have written about active adult communities in our blog.
Why the Villages is Perfect for Len and Ann
Sunbelt Dominates 2013 List of 100 Best Retirement Towns
What are your impressions of this list? Are you surprised the west did so poorly? Is there a community (but not one you work for!) that you felt is overlooked? If you have visited or live in any of these communities please share your observations with your fellow members in the Comments section below.