August 20, 2012 — As we increasingly find out, members and visitors at Topretirements are not typical retirees (actual or future) by any means. Last week’s 5 question poll made it clear that you are more prepared to retire, have better resources, and are much more willing to relocate in your retirement than comparable baby boomers nationwide.
The response to our poll was once again fantastic, with almost 400 people taking the time to respond. Your input is incredibly helpful in understanding your retirement concerns and hopes – thanks! This post will provide an analysis of what we learned.
1. What are your top concerns about retirement?
Where to live
Having enough money
After those 2 responses the choices dropped dramatically, with “what to do with my time” at 8% and “health issues” at 5%. There were 17 write-in responses, most of which indicated the same kind of concerns as on our list, as well as worries about health insurance, when to retire, and general economic uncertainty.
We should note that in most nationwide surveys we see, not having enough money is usually the biggest concern by far – it’s clear that since Topretirements visitors are better fixed than most, they are free to come to this site to try to research where they should live.
2. How would you rate your retirement preparation?
Not at all prepared
This is definitely good news for Topretirements visitors, since 85% of you being at least moderately prepared for retirement.
3. What is your most important criterion for choosing a place to retire?
Active community fits my needs
Warm weather location
Low tax environment
Close to family members
Area that lets me pursue my hobbies/interests
Interestingly, “Other” generated a number of responses (9%). Some of the write-ins here included being close to family, low taxes, friendly and diverse environment, being near mountains or water, etc. A few said it was hard to choose: many of these factors were equally important.
4. Do you have a retirement bucket list?
Frankly, we were pleasantly surprised that almost half of those taking the survey have a bucket list, indicating that you folks are definitely giving retirement some of the good thinking it deserves! The best part is that so far 212 of you shared some or all of your bucket lists with us, which make for some fascinating reading. Rather than make this article unnecessarily long, please see our companion article on “What’s on Your Bucket Lists“, which also includes a downloadable file with all of the bucket lists we received.
For further reference:
See analysis of our member polls:
- Most Snowbirds Are Renters, Travel By Car
- 2018 Snowbird Survey Results
- Ideal Snowbird State Pairings (tons of great comments)
- Top Reason for Choosing a Place to Retire
- Quiz: How Ready Is Your Home for Retirement
- 2020 Retirement Living Preferences
- Members Financial Confidence High, So Are Savings (2019)
- Florida Top Choice for Snowbirds: Our Survey Results
- Climate and Weather Drive Where People Retire
- Topretirements Members Very Confident About Retirement (2014)
- Topretirements Members Report High Degrees of Spousal Compatibility- 2013
- Our Members Getting Ready for Big Retirement Moves- 2013
- Retirement Living Preferences – 2013
- Medicare Survey – 2012
- Best and Worst Things About Your Retirement
- Your Bucket Lists Are Amazing
- Plans for Retirement
Comments: Please share your thoughts about these responses in the Comments section below. We would all love to hear from you!