September 9, 2021 — Thanks to the 300+ folks who responded to last week’s instant poll, which asked what your #1 reason for choosing a place to retire would be. Although we realize most people have multiple factors affecting their choice, the poll tried to identify the single most important. By a large margin that turned out to be: “warm weather or other climate”. The results are shown below, and beneath that we have included some of the more interesting comments that were made on the topic. (Note: You can still take the instant poll and comment on it as well).
It was no big surprise that “affordable” came in second, followed by “lifestyle”, “near friends and family”, and then “near good medical”. “Low taxes” might be included in what people think of as affordable, but we were happy that that factor alone wasn’t what most people base their retirement location decisions on. We think retirement should be fun, so going for good weather and lifestyle is OK in our book.
Comments from Members:
We loved the comments made to this article. Rose’s was one of our favorites, in which she lamented retiring to the loved vacationing in(Myrtle Beach). When she retired there she realized it had a lot of traffic and a shortage of like minded people. Several people were interested in looking for a nice college town with cultural opportunities, while others mentioned that good medical care was up there as an important consideration (and many college towns do have medical schools with hospitals). Sue was looking to avoid extremes – particularly political and climate ones. Weather and climate was echoed by several as the thing to look for. Ellen started her list with low taxes and affordability, then good medical. Tim thinks he is a “climate change refugee”, considering moving from the Pacific Northwest to get away from the smoke and fires.
Bottom line: There are many great reasons for choosing a place to retire, and just about everyone has a different point of view. The point is, knowing what you are looking for will greatly increase your chances of finding it! If you have more thoughts about this topic, please share them in the Comments section below. Plus, if you have other ideas for our instant poll, please share that too!
For further reading and a list of previous surveys:
- Most Snowbirds Are Renters, Travel By Car
- 2018 Snowbird Survey Results
- Ideal Snowbird State Pairings (tons of great comments)
- Quiz: How Ready Is Your Home for Retirement
- 2020 Retirement Living Preferences
- Members Financial Confidence High, So Are Savings (2019)
- Florida Top Choice for Snowbirds: Our Survey Results
- Climate and Weather Drive Where People Retire
- Topretirements Members Very Confident About Retirement (2014)
- Topretirements Members Report High Degrees of Spousal Compatibility- 2013
- Our Members Getting Ready for Big Retirement Moves- 2013
- Retirement Living Preferences – 2013
- Medicare Survey – 2012
- Best and Worst Things About Your Retirement
- Your Bucket Lists Are Amazing
- Top Concerns about Retirement
- Plans for Retirement